This cake is the “scarpaccia” a Tuscan sweet cake with zucchini. Nadia from Viareggio gave me the recipe. I baked it in a rectangular baking tray and then I cut it into cubes like the brownies, but I called them greenies for the green color of zucchini. Now let’s see how these greenies are prepared:
- 1 kg of zucchini;
- 200 gr of flour;
- 200 gr of sugar + 1 tbsp;
- 100 gr of soft butter;
- 3 eggs;
- 1/2 pkt of baking powder;
- the grated peel of a lemon;
- 2 or 3 chopped basil leaves.
- slice the zucchini;
- in a bowl beat the eggs;
- add sugar and beat again;
- add butter, flour, baking powder, lemon peel and chopped basil;
- Finally add all the courgettes except a handful, and mix well;
- Pour the mixture into a rectangular baking tray covered with wet and squeezed baking paper and distribute the last zucchini on top;
- sprinkle with a spoonful of sugar;
- bake at 180 ° for about 40 minutes;
- remove from the oven and let the cake to cool completely;
- take the cake off the mold and cut it into cubes of about 4 cm side length.
Here’s what Barbara from La Teiera eclettica recommends for this recipe:
For the sweet cake with the zucchini I would have thought of: Maloom FTGFOP1 A black tea from South Nepal of high quality similar to a Darjeeling picked in summer, characterized by fresh, vegetable, light taste, with a floral aftertaste combined with a note that remembers the mature spring fruit. Perfect at any time of the day.